Thursday 8 May 2014

past & present of Ali Dbeba (Dabaiba) ODAC


Add caption
Libya – UK, my (ex) friend Ali Dabaiba ODAC (Organization for Development of Administrative Centers) chairman & Gadhafi  - May 2014 by Arnaldo Guidotti
Birth of ODAC and its ex chairman Ali Dabaiba coincided with its first giant contract for Sirte development plan in 1986 signed by myself as chairman of Enterprise – Viareggio Italy owned by Italmaco and inherited by Emaco group.
My friendship with Dabaiba lasted 13 years with so many meetings everywhere in Libya, Germany (he had frequent health treatments) and Italy.
I discovered that London real-estate agency Chesterton Humberts, one of whose offices is seen above, became part-owned in 2011 by the family of former Gadhafi insider Ali Dabaiba, according to a person close to the family. Libyan investigators are trying to recover assets of ex-Gadhafi associates.
The name of London real-estate agency Chesterton Humberts exudes English affluence. But in early 2011, as revolution engulfed Moammar Gadhafi's Libya, a stake in the London firm was quietly acquired by the family of a Gadhafi insider, according to a person close to the family.
The insider was Ali Dabaiba, who for decades ran a powerful Libyan government agency and was part of the inner circle known as "Companions of the Leader," said Libyans who know him. Amid the chaos of the Arab Spring, the deal shifted some of the Dabaiba family's wealth to the London property market, where purple Chesterton Humberts signs dot many neighborhoods.
A former senior member of Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi's inner circle took a stake in the high-end London real estate agency, Chesterton Humberts, around the time of the 2011 revolution.
Two and a half years after Gadhafi's overthrow and death, the new Libyan government is trying to claw back what it regards as ill-gotten gains of the former dictator and his associates. Among those it is investigating, on suspicion of embezzlement and abuse of office, is Mr. Dabaiba, said Libyan Attorney General Abdulqader Radwan in an interview in his Tripoli office.
"The State of Libya believes that the estate agency…Chesterton Humberts is part-owned by Ali Ibrahim Dabaiba or his brother or sons," said a document sent early this year to a U.K. law-enforcement agency by investigators working for the Libyan government. A similar document was sent to authorities in the British Virgin Islands.
The documents, reviewed by The Wall Street Journal, state that a former Chesterton Humberts director told investigators he brokered the deal in which the Dabaiba family invested in Chesterton. The documents requested international help in uncovering Dabaiba family interests.
Mr. Dabaiba, who is 68 years old and lives in Libya, hasn't been charged with any crimes. Neither have other Dabaiba family members.
In the early months of the rebellion that doomed Gadhafi, the Dabaibas backed the rebels, and supporters said the family's embrace of the revolution compensates for any alleged past sins.
Libya is enmeshed in a familiar ritual for governments in the wake of fallen dictators: a quest to reclaim assets from what they suspect are kleptocrats.
Nearly 100 asset-recovery investigations and lawsuits are under way around the world, according to the Stolen Asset Recovery Initiative database. These are complex hunts that lead investigators across borders, sometimes through mazes of shell companies and transactions in jurisdictions that don't require much disclosure, and many have ground on for a decade or longer. The 2011 Arab Spring revolts set off a fresh torrent from Tunisia, Egypt and Libya.
Western companies that did business in Gadhafi's Libya are still grappling with the revolution's fallout. U.S. and British authorities are investigating investment banks, brokerage firms and money managers on suspicion of winning business in Libya through bribery, according to law-enforcement and financial-industry officials. The Libyan Investment Authority has filed civil suits against Goldman Sachs Group Inc. for allegedly violating a fiduciary duty and France's Société Générale SA for alleged fraud stemming from transactions in the late 2000s. Both banks deny wrongdoing.
Ali Dabaiba, seen at left with his son Osama, ran ODAC a Libyan state contracting agency for 20 years but turned against Gadhafi during the revolution that overthrew and killed the ruler.
As Libyan investigators pursue holdings of people linked to the Gadhafi regime, one path has led them toward Chesterton Humberts, in a rare instance of such a mainstream firm turning up in a post-dictatorship asset search.
The firm's roots go back to 1805. Chesterton built a strong reputation serving London's high-end realty market. But it went through a bankruptcy reorganization in 2005 and was acquired for about £4 million, or about $7.6 million at the time, by Mercantile Group, the investment firm of a Libyan-born businessman named Salah Mussa, and by a partner.  In time, the Mussa and Dabaiba families crossed paths over Chesterton, according to Libyan investigators and the person close to the Dabaiba family.
By the late 1980s, Salah Mussa was investing in British businesses. In 2008, three years after buying half of Chesterton, he added another buckling U.K. real-estate firm to Mercantile's portfolio by purchasing Humberts for £3.2 million. Later that year Mercantile bought the other half of Chesterton. Mr. Mussa merged the businesses into Chesterton Humberts.
The firm burnished its posh image by sponsoring polo. "It's very Chesterton. It's got the right demographic for us," said Giles Milner, head of marketing. Mr. Mussa rode around London in a chauffeured black Rolls-Royce said people who know him.
Although the Mussas once feared Gadhafi's regime, by 2008—with international sanctions lifted because Gadhafi had renounced weapons of mass destruction—Mr. Mussa was rethinking his family's stance toward Libya, said friends and colleagues. He angled to win business there, they said.
To bolster his Libyan connections, he hired Sakher Koussa, son of Gadhafi-era spy chief Moussa Koussa, according to a former employee of Mr. Mussa's investment group. Sakher Koussa didn't respond to requests for comment.
Chesterton won a prized assignment in late 2008: arranging a purchase by the Libyan Investment Authority of a London building across from the Bank of England. Former colleagues of Mr. Mussa said he personally handled the £120 million deal. They said he also went to Libya to open Chesterton Humberts branches there.
At the time, the Dabaiba family was thriving in Libya. Ali Dabaiba, a geography teacher by training, had become mayor of the port city of Misrata soon after Gadhafi's seizure of power, and before long was part of Gadhafi's entourage, said people who know Mr. Dabaiba.
In 1989, Gadhafi launched a plan to transform his hometown, Sirte, into a modern administrative capital with an airport, conference center and university. He formed the ODAC, and put Mr. Dabaiba in charge.
"Ali Dabaiba was a very clever and capable administrator," said a Libyan engineer who oversaw the Sirte development plan. "It was clear he had the ear of the Great Leader."
Mr. Dabaiba owned a large property in Misrata that included a banquet hall neighbors could use free for events such as weddings. Neighbors said the facility, with Jacuzzi-equipped suites, raised his social status in the city.
The family also acquired businesses outside Libya. Corporate records indicate their businesses specialized in mobile billboards, fashion, frozen yogurt and archaeology, among other things.
ODAC's mandate grew to control most infrastructure development across Libya. Through the years, it awarded tens of billions of dollars in contracts. Libyan businessmen called it Jihaaz Dabaiba, "the Dabaiba apparatus."
Like many state-run institutions of the Gadhafi era, ODAC developed a reputation for occasionally questionable contracting decisions, said businessmen in Libya familiar with its arrangements. They said that in exchange for projects, contractors sometimes had to build houses for top government officials.
Libyan investigators said ODAC sometimes gave deals to companies with connections to the Dabaiba family. In one instance, ODAC awarded a contract to build a psychiatric clinic to a company called Evergreen Consulting Ltd., according to a copy of the multimillion-dollar contract reviewed by the Journal. Libyan investigators said Evergreen is linked to Mr. Dabaiba's brother Yusef.
Evergreen received at least six ODAC contracts from 2008 to 2010 with a total value of roughly $75 million, according to the investigators. After Gadhafi's fall, the Libyan Audit Bureau looked at ODAC operations in 2010 and the start of 2011 and said it found multiple questionable financial decisions. Mr. Dabaiba led ODAC for much of that time but left Libya in December 2010 for medical reasons, said a person familiar with the matter.
Among other questionable practices, the auditors wrote that they found indications ODAC sometimes awarded duplicate contracts for the same project. They criticized what they said was an ODAC practice of making cash loans to people both inside and outside the organization, totaling the dinar equivalent of $41 million.
"All the projects were overpriced," said Mohsen Derregia, who briefly ran Libya's sovereign-wealth fund after Gadhafi's demise. Ali Dabaiba "would come to someone, finance the business, take a share of the income, without being named or clearly associated with the business," Mr. Derregia said.
In early 2011, as Gadhafi's grip on power was starting to weaken, the Dabaiba and Mussa families' interests intersected. Mr. Mussa was sounding out affluent Middle East families about investing in and lending to Chesterton Humberts, said former directors of the firm. Around February 2011, when the anti-Gadhafi rebellion was heating up, Mr. Mussa reached a deal with London representatives of the Dabaiba family that gave the Dabaibas a stake in Chesterton Humberts' holding company, said the person close to the Dabaiba family.
Osama Dabaiba, a son of Ali, visited Chesterton Humberts offices several times and met with Mr. Mussa, according to a former employee of Mr. Mussa's investment group.  
In March 2011, amid the increasingly violent conflict in Libya, the international community sanctioned several Libyan institutions. The European Union imposed sanctions on ODAC, calling it an "entity acting on behalf of Gadhafi."
By then, the Dabaibas had pivoted against Gadhafi. With his forces besieging their hometown of Misrata, the Dabaibas donated millions of dollars to send supplies to the city, said former rebel leaders. Osama Dabaiba, now 41, embraced the Libyan uprising.
In London, Mr. Mussa, who is 53, founded a charity called World for Libya to send doctors and ambulances to the embattled country. The Dabaiba family bought two tables for the charity's inaugural ball in June 2011 at London's Four Seasons hotel, said a person who attended. Among items auctioned were two pairs of handmade Italian designer shoes donated by a Dabaiba-controlled company.
After rebel forces killed Gadhafi in October 2011, a priority of the new government was chasing the billions it believed had been misappropriated over four decades by people close to the dictator. In May 2012, Libya froze the assets of 240 former regime officials, state-run businesses and Gadhafi relatives, pending investigations. The list included Ali Dabaiba and a cousin.
Some have successfully sued or lobbied to remove their names. Ali Dabaiba is trying to do so but so far hasn't succeeded, said people familiar with the situation. The EU in 2013 lifted sanctions on the agency he once headed.
Libyan authorities have hired private investigators and lawyers to trace assets. In the case of the Dabaiba family, Libyan investigators said they believe it has interests in more than 100 companies registered in at least 10 countries.
Julian Malins, a London-based lawyer working for Libya, met last July with a man who identified himself as former Chesterton Humberts board member Tarek Al-Sayed, according to a document sent this year to British authorities. At the meeting, held at a Starbucks in a London department store, Mr. Al-Sayed said he had arranged a sale of Chesterton Humberts shares from Mr. Mussa to the Dabaiba family, according to the document and people familiar with the meeting.
Libyan Attorney General Radwan and investigators sent letters and documents earlier this year to authorities in England, Scotland and the British Virgin Islands seeking help tracing Dabaiba family assets. A letter Mr. Radwan sent to Scottish authorities in February asked for help recovering what it called "Libyan state assets stolen by Ali Ibrahim Dabaiba…and concealed abroad with the help of his family members and others."
A document the investigators seeking to track Dabaiba assets sent to the U.K.'s National Crime Agency in January described Salah Mussa as Ali Dabaiba's partner and "co-conspirator" in investing in the London real-estate firm.
Chesterton Humberts recently announced plans to split in two, reversing the five-year-old merger. The aim is to cater to different market segments, said marketing chief Mr. Milner, who said both halves would be owned by Chesterton Humberts' current shareholders.
Defenders of Ali Dabaiba credit him with supporting the anti-Gadhafi revolution and helping rebuild Libya afterward. They say the Libyan justice system, stretched thin as numerous former Gadhafi-era officials await trial for alleged war crimes and mass killings, shouldn't focus on administrative figures such as Mr. Dabaiba.
"Those still on the run, those who ruined political life here and killed fellow Libyans…[they] are different than Dabaiba and his like," said Ahmed Lenghi, a congressman who represents Benghazi. "As much as they might have taken from the country, they gave back to the revolution in some equal measure."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

After being in relationship with Elizabeth for seven years,he broke up with me, I did everything possible to bring him back but all was in vain, I wanted him back so much because of the love I have for him,I begged him with everything,I made promises but he refused.I explained my problem to someone online and she suggested that I should rather contact a spell caster that could help me cast a spell to bring him back but I am the type that never believed in spell,I had no choice than to try it,I mailed the spell caster, and he told me there was no problem that everything will be okay before three days,that my ex will return to me before three days, he cast the spell and surprisingly in the second day, it was around 4pm. My ex called me,I was so surprised, I answered the call and all he said was that he was so sorry for everything that happened, that he wanted me to return to him, that he loves me so much. I was so happy and went to him, that was how we started living together happily again.Since then,I have made promise that anybody I know that have a relationship problem, I would be of help to such person by referring him or her to the only real and powerful spell caster who helped me with my own problem and who is different from all the fake ones out there. Anybody could need drakugbespellhome1@gmail.com the help of the spell caster,his email:you can email him if you need his assistance in your relationship or anything he also help me to win $500,000:00 for lotto game.I CAN NEVER STOP TALKING ABOUT YOU SIR HIS EMAIL: drakugbespellhome1@gmail.com post by elizabeth

Dr Ogudugu Solution Temple said...

I'm Terry Brown from New York (USA). I am 57 years of age I got married before 27 years. 11 years my wife die and I was alone. I am running a software company so in my office there was a Divorcee woman approx 35 years old, after my wife death she came closer to me and slowly we started an affair she is very pretty and beautiful and I really love her as I used to love my wife she also loves me as her husband we were living together at my home from last six months everything was going on very good I was very happy but before two months she started ignoring me and she left my home and whenever I call her she gives me an excuse and finally before 25 days she said to me that she can’t do it further she does not love me I was shocked what happened my heart was broken and literally I cried too much on that day I was mad nothing was right I tried to convinced her a lot but everything was useless, I can’t describe my situation but by chance I got the help of Dr.Ogudugu, on internet as I have told you I am owner on a software company so I didn’t believe at starting but I did not have any option so I talked to Dr.Ogudugu he gave me 48 Days time to complete my work and he said that she will come back herself.it happened as he claimed I am very grateful to Dr.Ogudugu we are now happy as ever before,Dr.Ogudugu make her know how much we are meet to be together. If you are there having any problems in your relationship...you have to hurry up and get it touch with Dr.Ogudugu is there to help you(GREATOGUDUGU@GMAIL.COM tel: +2348057266712) i am so happy to share these my testimony with you.

Carol Lucy said...

Greeting Am Marian Lucy by name and i am located in Usa ,I recently saw a testimony about a spell caster of some sort in a blog I visit for relationship and dating counseling problems because i had been having serious problems with my boyfriend and we had been dating for 2 year, He just suddenly changed, He wasn't returning my calls, He started cheating, He was hurting me in so many ways i never thought possible and I just thought I should try this spell caster called Dr happy Cos there are so many good comments about him on the website, But before i could read his post,I have already contacted many spell caster that cheated me out of my hard earned money without given me result.But when i meet this spell caster out of desperation of some sort.I decided to contact them to please render there help to me, I explained all the problems that i was going through to him and he told me all i needed to do to get this spell castes. At first everything felt dreamy and unbelievable, Their consultations and solution was a little bit easy and strange and I was scared a little cos I had read and heard lots of stories of fake spell casters, scams and i never really believed in magic. I played along with a little hope and faith and I was sent some few stuffs after everything and it worked like a miracle, everything went to a whole new direction, it was and is amazing. I guess it was all good faith that made me read That particular post that faithful day.I hope they could help other people too like they did to me. I did a little and I got everything I wanted and wished for, My husband, My family and my life back You can contact Dr happy at: happylovespell2@gmail.com because he changed my life


john danilla said...

I am John Danilla from UK( northern ireland), i want to share a
testimony on how a powerful spell caster cured my HIV disease, i was
diagnosed of this disease, in the year 2009, last week i saw a testimony on
Dr.Akioya on how he cured an HIV patient, so i contacted him through phone
and he asked me to email him, which idid, so he told me that all my
problems is over and then he decided to do an healing spell spell for me so
after he finished it, he told me to wait for just 24 hours and then i
should go for a test, so i really did as he had said, so my greatest
surprised when i went to the hospital to go for an HIV test, the Medical
doctor diagnosed that, i am now HIV negetative at first i was amazed and
now i have come to realise that this spell caster Dr. Akioya is a very
powerful one and a real spell caster. So viewers of this should please join
me in my celebration for i am the happiest man on earth today and if you
want to contact him, you can do this via his email
(drakioya17spellhome@gmail.com or call him or whatsapp him
+2348105257464.

frank shaw said...

Hello everyone, Words cannot describe how happy i am today after been cured from the DIABETES disease that i have be suffering from over 4 years now. I was diagnose with diabetes and i have be living in shame and hiding it, but it became worse that i was searching for cure from different means so desperate until i met with a lady online who was testifying about this herbal doctor called Dr oriane. Who said she get her diabetes disease cured with the use of Dr oriane herbal medicine. I never believed but i have to give a try because i was desperately in need of cure to the deadly disease that i have been living with. So i contacted him and we discussed how to get the cure and Dr oriane told me that he had cured many his with herbal medicine which i will order for and it will be delivered to me. Which i did what he wanted and to my greatest surprise the herbal medicine was delivered to me at my address which i gave to him, with instruction on how to apply was also given to me by Dr oriane. Then i started to use the herbal medicine, so after four weeks of using the herbal medicine, i saw physical changes and went for test at two separates hospitals and i was totally cured, i am here to say thanks to you again Dr oriane for saving me from the deadly DIABETES disease. Anyone with such disease can also contact Dr oriane through his EMAIL: droriane6@gmail.com.